View Single Post
Old 02-07-2006, 12:28 AM

Send a message via AIM to SVXcellent
Speedometer and Shifting Problem...

Checking through this forum, I found quite a few things about speedometer and shifting problems. However, I'm not really sure if what I am experiencing has been mentioned before.

It all started this past Saturday. I was driving towards the freeway when I looked at my speedometer and noticed the needle was just bouncing around 0. When I accelerated, it would just jump to 120 or 130. Now if I could actually go from 0 to 120 that quickly, I'd be excited! But instead, I'm guessing there's a problem. Would this be an electrical issue? Is my speed sensor messed up?

Regardless, I was stuck in traffic on the freeway for quite some time. Eventually when things did clear up, I realized my SVX was feeling a bit sluggish. Even when flooring it, there seemed to be little response. I was going freeway speed (probably 70 I'm guessing, but can't confirm it with the problematic speedometer!) and noticed that my tach was hovering around 3000rpm. In fact, I couldn't get it much past 3000! Apparently my SVX isn't shifting properly! Leaving ihe transmission in "D," the tranny should have shifted and the rpm should have dropped before climbing again during acceleration. Unfortunately that wasn't happening.

While a friend was test-driving the SVX to try and diagnose the problem, he experienced the same things. But while he was fiddling with the manual button, and shifting between "D" and "3," he finally got it to shift like it is supposed to when healthy. We returned to meet up with some people, and when I started the car up again, I was back to having the same shifting problem. Anybody know what the problem may be? When I had the oil changed a few weeks ago, the transmission fluid was still clean and "pink." Is my tranny going to die? Are the speedometer and shifting issues somehow related?

As always, any help and advice will be appreciated!