View Single Post
Old 05-06-2005, 07:12 PM
The Molinator

Fluid leak...oil or ATF..onto exhaust pipe...

I have a fluid leak onto the exhaust pipe at about the rear of engine on driver's side...creating oily smoke. I originally thought it was engine oil...as the oil level was decreasing faster than ideal. I thought the valve cover was leaking on the driver's side, but a reputable mechanic put dye in the engine oil and said there was no apparent oil leak. He thought it was the rack & pinion as there was alot of oil all over the unit; he suggested replacing the rack & pinion with a rebuilt unit (about $400). Then I decided to check the level of ATF in the power steering unit; surprisingly, the level (topped off) has not decreased for weeks! Well!...I decided recently to check the automatic transmission fluid level. [Beav had pointed out earlier that the leak might be associated with the AT fluid because the cooler AT fluid tubes pass on the driver's side also!] Again to my surprise, the AT fluid level was about 1/2 inch above the top mark!....whether the car was used (hot) or whether it was cold overnight!

I thought I heard it was bad to run AT fluid above top mark...? Should I drain some fluid out [maybe by disconnecting a cooler tube] to keep the ATF no higher than the top mark? [I guess I didn't check the ATF level after I had a flush/fill 1 1/2 to 2 years ago!]

Also, do you have any ideas about the leak onto the exhaust...?

THANKS!
2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)
Valentine One Radar Detector with Remote Display - ucan'tseeme!