Thread: Gasket Problem?
View Single Post
Old 02-28-2009, 02:01 PM

Re: Gasket Problem?

[QUOTE=elemgee; How hard is to replace the timing belt? I had the dealer do it at 60K miles, and always thought that it was fairly difficult. Are there any clear instructions anywhere? Thanks.
Larry[/QUOTE]

Not hard at all.
The alignment of the alignment marks can be seen by clicking on the How-to at top right of this page. Then a click on "engine" will take you to another page. Carefully hidden under "cambelt" is the alignment information for the timing belt!

I would suggest turning the crank and lining everything up whenever possible before removing the old timing belt.

You need to end up with the belt in that position when reinstalling it.
The new belt will come with the alignment marks and some more stuff written on it! Don't know if it matters, but I put the belt on so I an read the words... not reversed.
If you make it to the cam shaft seals... both sides of the engine, of course, the timing belt will already be removed and put in the trash! Chances are it will have a bit of oil soaking going on, regardless of the age of the belt.

There is a Hydraulic tension idler contraption that must be removed, re-compressed, and reinstalled with the new belt. I use a "big old vise" to re compress the hydraulic unit but it should be done slowly to avoid damage to the unit. I take a small allen wrench and push through small holes to keep it compressed until reinstalling that piece back on the engine. Notice the way the hydraulic unit was installed and that will help with putting sliding the allen wrench in correctly so it can be removed after the timing belt is in place. Be sure and get the wrench through all 3 holes while it is compressed in the "big old vise"

The way I install the timing belt is to remove the lower idler pully that the belt is pushing against, the smooth one at the bottom... near the center front of the notor and simply lay the timing belt in place, properly aligned at all three alignment marks with the tensioner in place but the allen wrench still in the hydraulic tensioner. Then I reinstall the lower idler pulley that the timing pulley pushes up against the belt.
Double check to make sure all alignment marks are correct and pull out the allen wrench! Say, "Thank the Lord" and put the covers back on.

You have already, of course, removed both radiator fan units, NOT the radiator, to make the job doable. The right fan unit, pasenger side, can at first seem not that easy, but by taking out the 2 bolts, unpluging the electrical connector, and since the front of the car is already elevated and on jack stands, simply pull that fan unit out the bottom!

Most are not aware of some of the simple steps that I learned by trial and error, but you can benefit from this information! As you get into the job, hopefully some of this will make sense to you.

Keith

Good luck

Last edited by kwren; 03-03-2009 at 03:11 AM.