View Single Post
Old 03-13-2008, 09:03 AM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX
I got a new from dealer SVX windsheild installed about a year ago. It did indeed come with the large weatherstrip bonded to it. My installer had done a few SVXes before and said that was one of the reasons it is almost impossible to salvage the SVX windshield from a wrecked car - you have to use the right tools and make sure to save the weatherstrip sections. I think Turbone's experience is what we can expect using anything less than a new OEM windshield, but apparently we may soon have no choice.

I heard once that car manufacturers are required to keep replacement parts on hand for 10 years after a model leaves production. After that, it is up to them whether or not they want to continue manufacturing/stocking the part.

If this is true, I'm sure Subaru will not see it as worth the money to make anything more for the SVX. We just passed 10 years and they are probably celebrating that they can throw away the molds and tooling they've had to keep around for 10 years to create any parts that ran out of stock. What's left is probably what's left. And it probably isn't much.

1992 SVX LSL "Serenity" 250,000 miles!

I don't care, I'm still free, You can't take the sky from me...