View Single Post
Old 08-31-2004, 08:10 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
You have to remember how the transfer clutch works. The driven plates are always being driven by the transmission. Then there are drive plates sandwiched in between the driven plates attached to the propshaft to the rear wheels. Hydraulic pressure squeezes that sandwich together to send torque to the rear.

I think it's entirely believable that, with those twelve plates sandwiched together, the rear is going to coast a little just from having the driven plates spinning between them.

The transfer clutch is designed to slip pretty much constantly. The one in my wife's car was good even after 140k miles of constant slipping, which it encounters during normal operation. That's pretty awesome in my book. But you can still make it slip when it's not supposed to in ways it's not supposed to. Having mismatched (or underinflated) tires is one way. Putting the FWD fuse in and spinning the front tires is another.

Putting the fuse in because you're waiting a couple days for matching tires is fine. Just be careful and drive conservatively. No spinning the front tires. It's a better alternative than leaving the fuse out and having the car expect matching tire diameters and applying the wrong pressure to the clutch all the time.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE