View Single Post
Old 06-07-2010, 10:01 AM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: replaced a bunch of stuff, now won't rev over 3k

Nevin,
I'd suggest you step back and look at how the car was running before all of the mods and how it's running now. Were there any issues other than a little smoking from the turbo? What rpm would it run up to previously without any issues? Once you've got your baseline established, start walking through your changes.
1. while the mods to the new head don't really point to the current inability to rev above 3k rpms, how about the way the head was installed? Were all the timing points on the cam gear lined up correctly with those on the belt/chain? (yes, I know you said you checked the timing )
2. Is the new turbo exactly the same as the one it replaced? Have you double checked the install to make sure you don't have any leaks while under boost? Does it have an internal or external wastegate and is it functioning correctly?
3. and so on....

It does seem like you've got a "under boost" issue...
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker