View Single Post
Old 02-12-2011, 05:28 PM
Hi Mr. Penguin!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Sometimes start issue

I have a bizarre issue I can't seem to nail down- my 92 SVX sometimes just doesn't want to start. It's not like the "click no start" issue, and I've replaced that relay. It's not a dead battery, as it does sometimes start on its own. It's not the security system, as when it does start, the security system could have been off or on- it seems to be totally random.

Sometimes, if you turn the key it will turn over immediately and fire right up. Sometimes, if you turn/hold the key, it will turn over and start after a second or two. Sometimes, what sounds like the security module beeps 2 or more times while I'm holding the key in the start position, and then it starts. Then sometimes, just nothing at all.

When the car just won't start, if you bump the starter once or twice to turn it, the car will start, but it doesn't seem like your average starter issue, as a dead spot usually clicks or makes some noise- this is turn key and dead silence.

I am replacing the starter anyway, and probably will end up replacing the electronic portion of the ignition switch, but has anyone had anything like this going on? I don't mind replacing parts, but a direction to head in is always better than just throwing parts at a problem.

Thanks!
Brian