View Single Post
Old 04-21-2010, 09:15 PM
Nürburgring Warrior!

Registered SVX
Re: You can now have a 485whp SVX for less than $2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxistentialist View Post
Tom is stating it exactly as I see it. The PD blower produces massive torque low down and mid range where you need it most.

Turbochargers have lower parasitic power losses than blowers, but they are not all that "free" as people think. By their nature they create so much heat under the hood they need pipes and intercoolers to get the charge reasonably dense, that costs money and takes up underhood real estate. The continuous heat when in use raises temperatures under the hood and eventually causes problems for wiring, tubes etc. Dealing with all this costs money. Not that free I would say.

For me the ideal system might be a PD blower with a small turbo sequentially feeding it. That gets around the problem of the blower running out of puff.

Joe
Maybe if you are slapping a turbo on a car that was never intended for it. Under hood heat? Wiring breakdown? Tubes etc? LOL really? You dont have to charge cool a forced induction engine.. S/C guys do it all the time but then they heat soak like crazy and to me you are leaving tons of power and reliability on the table w/o it.

Tom for autoX I could see where you would want low end grunt. For drag racing?? Unless you are so under geared, I cant see why anyone wouldn't want their power in the mid-top end. Lets not get started with the whole HP sells cars, TQ wins races.. what a bunch of crap that phrase is.

My Evo made its peak HP (350whp) at 7,200rpm. It was set up for what I love most, road racing. When we moved back to the states all my friends talked me into going drag racing... 12.4@118 1/4 and 7.8@92 in the 1/8th. There you can see the grip of AWD (ET) and the well... the power of HP (MPH).

If you like big lazy thrust of gobs of low end- positive displacement S/C is for you. Just not for me.