View Single Post
Old 11-28-2002, 10:00 AM

back from the dead

Well yesterday I had both my rear bearings replaced. I had read somewhere that the grease in which they came was to be replaced with a better one so I put some synthetic bearing grease (hope it'll do the job).

I have a question for you guys: before the bearings were replaced, there was a loud "humming" noise in the back due to the worn out bearings that could only be heard at speeds over 50 mph. The reason why I'm pointing this out is in case someone would reply that the reason I hear this new clunking noise is because the old bearing humming was covering it before.

The mecanics who removed the bearings from my car used an impact gun. When I took my car for a road test, the humming was gone BUT the slightest imperfection off the road would resonate in the trunk like it's the end of the world. Do you think that the shocks might have been damaged from the use of the impact gun?

Also, in the eventuality of replacing the rear shocks, can someone provide me with the part numbers? Either aftermarket or OEM will be fine, as long as it comes out under the Canadian OEM retail of 990$ including our 15% tax... that's about 630$US excluding the labor.

Thanx!