View Single Post
Old 03-29-2006, 02:57 PM

Probably dead alternator

Well I havent had a serious problem in the last 2 months or so, so I am overdue. and geuss what? I was right. I had just driven down to my part-time office which is about 70 miles south from my house. No problems on the trip down at all. I was only there maybe 5 minutes tops, and then as I was leaving, I came to a stop at a stoplight, and my CEL, ABS, and Oil lights all came on the dash. Then it stalled out. This is EXACTLY what happened last time my alternator died. But last time it happened, I couldnt re-start the car at all. This time, I managed to, after a few tries, re-start, pull off the road, and get to a parking lot. I pulled the CEL code, but it didnt have one in memory. So I re-started the car on the first try this time, got out on the road, and drove all the way back all 70 miles without further incident. The warning lights and stalling defeintely make me think alternator, but it was just replaced 5 months ago with a brand new one! I know someone will want to say possibly a timing issue, but the timing belt was also replaced 3 months ago, with a brand new belt, and there have been no issues at all with it. Also, the tension on the alternator/PS belt is fine, it is nice and tight. So any ideas? I have had a slight PS leak for awhile, could it possibly have lost enough fluid to do something to the alternator belt?