View Single Post
Old 06-05-2003, 08:43 PM
CARLiTO_

This is what has been going on in the past few weeks..:(

3 weeks ago, I lost 3rd gear. I took it to a mechanic, he said a rebuild is needed. A week later, I lost it completely, tranny died. I managed to find an impreza auto tranny and rear diff. Just when I thought my problems were over, i was wrong. The impreza was the brighton model so it had a smaller rear diff. I then went on to find a legacy rear diff and found one. After I bought it, I was instructed to check if it was 4.11 because that is what i needed but to my bad luck, I had a 3.90. Later that week, I found a 4.11. I took out the ring and pinion out of the 4.11 and did the swap. The tranny was installed a week after that and today I got the car back but tranny oil was leaking as i had a bad dipstick pipe. I was able to change that but I was driving and it was fine for a while and then it just would not shift. And when I pulled over, there was smoke coming from under. I called Subaru earlier this week to ask them if all auto imprezas had the 4.11 ratio and they said no, it depended on the VIN. So basically i think that my tranny is 3.96 and i got 4.11 gear in the rear. $1400 later, I am still in the damn hole with no car and now i am forced to sell it. I can't all this stuff that's happeneing. Would the 4.11 gears in the rear cause smoke in the front?