View Single Post
Old 03-29-2007, 08:20 AM
Retired

Send a message via AIM to Nomake Wan Send a message via MSN to Nomake Wan Send a message via Yahoo to Nomake Wan Send a message via Skype™ to Nomake Wan
Okay, I'll explain in a little more detail.

The only way for me to perceive a third-gear slip in 'D' would be to put the car into full-throttle and watch it go through gears. But due to the car being on shaky ground, I never did this. I won't get a chance to until the radiator is repaired. So I can't tell you if it's "missing" third gear in 'D'. I assume not, however, since it drove normally and I didn't notice any strange operation in 'D'.

But then we get to moving the gearshift selector into the '3' position. The moment you do this, the engine revs up like it's gonna switch gears, then falls back down to where it was, then revs up like it's gonna switch gears, then falls back down to where it was, etc etc.

The transmission is not slipping as my foot is not even on the gas pedal. At this point the only input I have applied is placing the shifter into '3'. I should also note that when the engine revs up, the car seems to have an "engine braking" effect, and it does slow down. As soon as the revs fall back down this goes away, until the next time it revs up. It seems to be grabbing something, or the car wouldn't be shuddering like that.