View Single Post
Old 08-25-2008, 08:05 AM
Posting since Dec.'98
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Rust Proofing

Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob View Post
1. Don't put on aftermarket rustproofing crap as Subarus rust from the inside out so most of the snake oils they sell simply keeps water from getting out.
2. Wash your car very often, in snow don't park in a heated garage.
3. Add a little kerosene to your wash water as it'll form a nice little oil barrier on the metal.
4. Don't fix under body oil leaks.
Hate to disagree with your opening statement benebob. Most rust proofings do as you say and trap the water and salt against the metal, but not all. That is a problem with wax & tar/plastic coatings. When the coating is scraped or cracks it allows moisture in which is then trapped.

"Rust Check" brand and "Krown" brand work differently by staying liquid and displacing the moisture. They are the only ones here endorsed by the Canadian Automobile Association. The product is hard on some of the soft rubber gaskets which will swell after many years, but they are replaceable. My 92 has been done annually & is rust free. It's an annual application & costs about $100.00. Good insurance.

As an aside Honda Motors has their world corrosion test center here because of our "known" destruction by corrosion of cars.