Registered SVX
Re: HID fog lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwren View Post
3,000 or 4,000??
Thanks
Keith
Keith

Most fog lamps including ours tend to scatter the available light low and wide. The object of this is to illuminate the road close to the car and to illuminate the verge, to help you keep your vehicle in the correct position in your own lane while you make your progress through the poor visibility.

If your fogs had actual so called "driving" lenses then the main light beam from these would be higher and forward. A very intense bright white lamp firing directly forward could in certain circumstances [such as heavy snow] create a lot of reflected glare which will in turn adversely affect the vision of the driver trying to peer through this glare. For that glare reduction reason it was traditional in fog lamps to use yellow beams as the lower frequency yellow light is known to be better at penetrating and to be less prone to glare.

However it's my opinion that if your fog beams are correctly focused low and wide [as the fog beams from the SVX are usually correctly focused] then you should avail of the highest light output you can get simply because there will not be a lot of the reflected glare the old yellow beams were meant to defeat.

So my vote would be #1 for the 4300K HIDs or #2 for the 5000Ks that John uses. I would not bother with the 3000s.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl