View Single Post
Old 05-01-2010, 10:52 PM

Re: building engines and turboing 2 svx's woot woot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSpear View Post
Wouldn't you feel performance drop and temperature increase when this happens? You can always stop and car and inspect it before anything breaks.

On the other hand I am not against one fuel pump, do not get me wrong, in fact I prefer one pump over two. Less complication I mean.
Your EGTs will go through the roof, but as a rule, no, you could not reasonably expect to react quick enough to the massive detonation that would occur at full boost if one of the pumps failed. You might get lucky and melt off a spark plug tip, which would cause a serious misfire, but that is about it. Strong forged pistons might last through this, but the bearings would likely sustain enough damage that they would either fail immediately, or in a relatively minimal number of miles after the event.

A more common practice is running meth injection. There is a reason why top manufacturers and experienced users run safety features on these kits. We have had customers loose their motors within a week of getting tuned on meth because they did not have active safety systems.

Depending on how lean the system runs when one of the fuel pumps fails you might get a loss in power, or you might get a slight gain momentarily, followed by a loss and things break.

Depending on how aggressively it is tuned, it is fair to say that anything greater than a .5 AFR lean out will lead to detonation on pump fuel. Assuming a low 11:1 AFR target while tuning you would not feel a loss of power until either the detonation became overwhelming, or you crossed above a 12.5:1 AFR.