View Single Post
Old 04-14-2007, 09:28 AM

Question Couple odds n ends questions

Just some basic questions...

Since last posting, I've added to the transmission the external cooler, changed the external filter, the internal filter, switched to a combination of Amsoil and Mobil 1 synthetic tranny fluid, changed front and rear differential fluids to Amsoil and added the little smallcar shift kit... For the most part, everything runs fantastic...

Shifting issues:
1st to 3rd and 3rd to 4th only - when it gets warmed up, I get a shudder from the backend - Differentials? There is a little slack in the drive shaft (checked when I was under doing the rear fluid) I can do work on cars, but a mechanic I am not...

2nd to 3rd - When it gets warmed up - at low RPM's it flares, almost like it slips - if I realize it is about to do this and let off the gas before a shift, it doesn't flare, but I can feel it delay then shift suddenly. On acceleration, it takes longer for this shift too when it gets warmed up. Instead of shifting like the rest, it acts like it takes it a moment to fully engage (kind of like riding a clutch on a manual)

3rd to 4th - After shifting into 4th, on acceleration, the RPM's stay nearly constant until I let off upon getting to 60, even though I am still accelerating... then it slowly takes less RPMS to maintain speed... (never takes more than 2500rpm to maintain 60mph - overdrive = 2000 rpm)

I am not sure about the 2nd to 3rd part and the last part there about 3rd to 4th - I wonder if I switch it to FWD, if I'll extend the life of my transmission and rears for now...

Also, some noises and shakes up front and it isn't the tires, but it is something that goes in time with the tires - Sometimes I feel it in the steering, sometimes not. Sometimes I feel it in the brakes, sometimes not. Sometimes the car almost feels wobbly for a moment, sometimes not. Not all of the symptoms are 100% constant, but in the end, it is always there... Thoughts? Ball joint? Bearings? Axel? I dunno?

Getting ready to go cross country in it and want to make sure everything is up to snuff... Love the car - think I may look for more of them in the future...

Thanks!