View Single Post
Old 09-30-2011, 10:45 AM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX
Re: What oil/filter do you use and WHY?

Oil: Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage

Why: High mileage oils help keep gaskets and seals pliable to prevent leaks, which is common in Subarus. High mileage oils also tend to have higher base numbers than their non-HM counterparts so they can go longer between oil changes. Finally, high mileage oils tend to be slightly thicker than their non-HM counterparts and have better overall performance under high temperature and high shear conditions. This is also common in Subarus and especially at high RPMs. M1 was the highest rated of all the high mileage oils. Given the oversized oil filter listed below, I can justify the higher price of a synthetic since I will extend my oil change interval. I chose 5W30 because we never get above 40C here but we do get down to -30C. Although 40C is pushing the limits of 30W oil, high mileage 30W oils tend to perform almost like 35W or 40W at high temperatures. I like 5W oil at low temperatures due to the tight bearing passages on this engine. It will never get too thick to be pushed through those bearings.

Oil Filter: Bosch 72158 Premium Oil Filter

Why: It is an oversized filter which is a rebadged Purolator PureOne filter. The oversized filter helps keep oil flowing for better lubrication and lower oil temperatures. The oversized filter also enables extended oil change intervals. Purolator PureOne filters are very high efficiency filters and take out a high percentage of particles down to sizes that are below our bearing passages. At the same time, they don't introduce an excessively high restriction to oil flow. And since the filter is oversized anyways, a slight increase in flow restriction will be more than compensated for.

Air Filter: AC Delco A975C Air Filter

Why: It rated at a very high filtration efficiency without an excessive restriction to air flow. Also, its air flow restriction rises more slowly than most air filters as it becomes impregnated with dirt and dust particles over time. Many high flow filters start out as high flow but quickly become more restrictive than this filter as they get filled up with dirt and dust.

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything