View Single Post
Old 08-05-2011, 11:30 PM

Re: Charging A/C System

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXMAN2001 View Post
... my questions concerns are:

1) The manual states to initially charge through the high side (with engine OFF) while in liquid form? I am not all too familiar with this but my can of freon seems to be in liquid form?

Freon is in liquid form when under pressure. As the pressure is decreased, freon boils and makes a vapor just like water does when you boil water... you get steam, or a vapor. However, Freon boils at a much lower temperature than water does. Depending on the chemical composition, it varies somewhere below zero, but all refrigerants boil quite a bit below zero. The cold vapor from the boiling is what makes the refrigeration system cool.

When the system is properly evacuated with a vacuum pump, the proper way would be to pull down the system into a vacuum condition, seal off the vacuum in the system with the valves connect the hose from the can of refrigerant to the hi pressure side, open the valves, on the can and on the compressor with the can inverted, and let the liquid refrigerant flow in.

As the system begins taking in the liquid freon, at some point the pressure in the system and the pressure in the can of freon will become the same, so there will be a portion of freon liquid that will remain in the can.

...the only reason I bring this up is because once a can is used up on the high side, the manual states to finish charging on the low side with remaining freon in vapor form???

There is your answer. The suction side will be enough difference in pressure to allow remaining in the can of freon to get the majority of it into the system through the lo side, as the compressor is operating.

From what I've read a lot of systems charge only on the low side, why is this different on the svx?

Charging on the hi side would be a safer way to charge the system without risking damage to the compressor.

Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions, thanks Chris
When charging on the hi side the freon can must be inverted to get the liquid out.

Hope this helps.

Keith