View Single Post
Old 05-29-2010, 11:18 AM

Registered SVX
Re: 245/45-16 or 255/45-16

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael View Post
I agree the jump to 17 or 18 would cure my problems, but I'm trying to keep cost down and more importantly keep the stock rims. This is why I'm looking for a decent pic of a 45 profile tire in the class of tire I gave the links to. It may not be a whole lot different but the construction may be different. I don't know much about tire anatomy but I'd like to find a more pronounced curve/thickness in sidewall right where the rim meets the tire. As far as wear goes, my SVX only sees under a thousand miles each year all sunny days.
If you keep the 16" wheels and put a lower profile tire on without increasing width too much the gap between the fender and the top of the tire will increase... that can be awkward looking at times.

That's why the best choice is to go with a larger diameter wheel. Increasing the wheel diameter and decreasing the tire's profile results in the same overall tire diameter. This also will not throw your speedometer off.

The best choice is to find a set or '05-'07 Impreza STi wheels. 17", forged, and a good value usually. The stock STi tires are also some of the best handling tires out there... RE070. The size BTW is 225/45-17.

If you have not seen this... it will help:

TIRE CALCULATOR

Last edited by dbarnblatt; 05-29-2010 at 11:24 AM.