View Single Post
Old 05-25-2009, 10:14 PM
look like a leprechaun to me

Re: Cam sprocket question

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlightningsvx View Post
Also could you post some pics on how to remove and install the cam seals as I need to do mine soon?
Sorry, I missed this part I unfortunately didn't take any pics of the installation / removal. I got the seals out by carefully drilling small holes in the flat area of the seal and then prying them out with a little flat blade screwdriver. I placed the screwdriver between the seal and the head, in the same location as the hole I drilled. They are much easier to get out with the hole drilled in them - the holes weaken the structure and makes it easier to bend / collapse the seal enough to easily pry it out. I tried using picks in the holes to pull them at first, but after breaking off a pick in there, I stopped that.

To get the new seals in, I used a very large axle nut socket and a rubber mallet. I placed the socket against the seal, and then tapped it in until it seated. I put a little grease around the inside of each seal and a light coat of oil on the outer surface before installing them.

The cam caps came out easily with just a vise grip. I tapped in the new ones with a rubber mallet.

This was my first time doing seals, and so far so good - nothing seems to be leaking Time will tell, I guess.