View Single Post
Old 05-09-2009, 07:51 PM
$1 is just $1, but $2 = nachos

Re: Crank pulley wobbling??

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiftySVX View Post
I wouldn't worry about a slight wobbling, just visually inspect the unit and make sure the bolt is tightened to factory specifications. Also, the harmonic balancer is a balanced unit and has a mass to help smooth out engine vibrations, that is why it is heavy. I don't think you'd get much benefit from a lighter pully.
Actually, a wobbly crank pulley should be addressed ASAP. If the 2-piece pulley is wobbling, it's because the rubber is coming apart. The last thing you want is it to suddenly tear apart on you, resulting in half a pulley bouncing around your engine bay demolishing whatever it can in there.

FYI: a WRX pulley will drop right in... it's the same as the SVX's OEM pulley. So, you should be just fine getting a 1-piece non-underdrive WRX pulley for the car, or better yet, score a used low-mileage WRX pulley from someone that's upgraded. When I replacecd my pulley recently, I just used my WRX pulley that's just been lying around ever since I put an underdrive pulley on my WRX.