View Single Post
Old 06-04-2006, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laserx
Here's an update. I drove to my Subaru Dealer (same one I bought the car from in 1992, I have the same mechanic since day one) leaving the rad the same as it was last night, no coolant showing and the overflo full.
My mechanic saw me as I drove in and came immediately to me, I explained my problem and he told me to drive it right in to one of the service bays.

He refilled the rad, pumped out the extra coolant from the overflo and put on a new rad cap. He put a light beside the overflo and started to rev the engine while watching it. He saw nothing in the 3 or 4 minutes he did it for. He told me I just don't have the right symtoms for a blown HG, but anything was possible.

I drove the 65km to work, let it cool off and then went out to the parking lot to check it out. I removed the rad cap and it was full to the top, the overflo was exactly where it should be. I have just driven home and all coolant is exactly where it should be?

So, I'm..... at a loss for words as I wait to see if the problem is solved or I'm in for a major repair. Talking about repair, a guy at the office told me about this stuff from rxauto.com, thermogasket or something. It sounds too good to be true...comments?

Again, thanks for all the feedback.
First off you have a good mechanic, keep him. Secondly you had an air pocket. Soobies when they blow a HG they dont really put out white smoke. What they will do is push all the coolant out of the cooling system, and you will have lots of bubbles in the radiator.
The test for this is seeing the bubbles, using an exhaust gas analyzer to sniff for exhaust gas in the raditor, and also some autoparts stores have a chemical test that changes colors in the presence of exhaust gasses.
Sounds like your fixed, but do keep an eye on the temp gauge for at least one tank of gas.

nipper