View Single Post
Old 02-15-2006, 04:15 AM
The Molinator

PHENOLIC SPACERS......by Outlaw Engineering

Do any of you remember a few months ago when I posted a thread about my new (2 months old at that time) phenolic spacers by Outlaw Engineering...??? Well...I decided to have the mechanic put them on when reassembling my engine during head gasket job done in late August 2005. Two months after getting my SVX back..I started to get a sudden erratic idle when pulling into my garage! I looked the engine over...finding that the top gasket on the phenolic spacers had cracked (as if intake manifold bolts were over-tightened) creating unwanted airways in a couple spots ..which was allowing air to enter that was not "counted" by the MAF sensor! Hence, the erratic idle!

I contacted the mechanic, who proceeded to claim no responsibility whatsoever...even though he admitted his helper had assembled that part! At the time, I really felt bad about that...feeling that the most likely explanation was overtightening of the intake manifold bolts. Outlaw somewhat readily offered to send a new set of spacers (with attached top and bottom gaskets as the other spacers had had) although they stated they (Sean) had never heard of such a failure with their product! [I kept the engine running properly by sealing the gasket-crack leaks with black RTV.]

I installed the new spacers about one month later with no apparent problem...except I had to drain the AC refrigerant in order to get the driver's from intake manifold bolt off!

Today, I notice that the passenger side TOP gasket is now cracked AGAIN!..and leaking through a 1/16 inch crack ....WITH THE GASKET SLIDING LATERALLY ON THE PHENOLIC SPACER! I torqued the bolts as per factory manual...I think about 20 ft-lbs. [which Sean verified earlier as the correct spec.]!

HELP! I will contact Outlaw again, but don't expect a confession...or explanation soon....

THANKS for any HELP you can give!

P.S. Please switch this to the MOD forum, if that's where it belongs...sorry!
2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)
Valentine One Radar Detector with Remote Display - ucan'tseeme!

Last edited by James Scott; 02-15-2006 at 04:39 AM.