Thread: Turbo project
View Single Post
Old 05-24-2005, 06:51 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spindoctor
What is most interesting to me about the EG33 motor is how under utilized it seems to be.
I realize the day of the SVX came and went just before the big explosion in import tuning really hit but, for about two thirds the price of a new STI I could aquire a nice SVX mod the hell out of it,custom as it may be, pocket the extra 10k and blow most of the locals off the street.
Lets face it mod for mod at the end of the day there is no replacement for displacement.
I see guys on my dyno trying to build thier BMW mini's. They will throw thousands of dollars at these money holes and if thier lucky they might get up to 250 hp.
Tim H - The Spindoctor
Gid'ay Tim, your project looks good, and I see no reasion that it won't work. As you say, the engine is not stressed in standard form. It was not designed to give maximum hoursepower, rather it was a broard solid torque output that was needed to allow it to cruise at a high speed, all day.

The work that is needed, depends on the application. If it is to be a road car, with the odd hard blast, the engine is fine to say, 7psi. over that, the 2.2Turbo pistons are needed to drop the compression. 14 psi would be ok as long as it was not applied at too low a rpm.

If the engine is to be used for continious boost conditions, rally, circuit racing, full on drag racing, it would need more work done to the internals. Containing the cylinder pressure, gaskets ect, and cooling, exhaust valves, cylinder head, ect. While the engine speed is not taken too high <7k nothing else should give any trouble. Higher rpm would need better rods, valve springs, longer duration cams.

I myself prefer a Positive displacement blower, for the better spread of torque, and the cooler charge. I see you say the Turbo is more controlable. It is very easy to control the boost from a blower, as it is linked to the right foot, If you can't trust the foot, the bypass valve can be arranged to open to limit it. The Turbo is linked to the exhaust energy, that is not as positivly linked to the foot, and can run its own race.

All the best with it, we'll watch with interest.
Harvey,

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.