View Single Post
Old 03-31-2005, 04:23 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by deruvian
So Harv, what do you think would be a safe bet for an increase in lift? 1mm, or less maybe? Should the base circle be reground, or should the nose size be increased?

This post from NASIOC states that a lift size of more than 0.365" (9.27mm) on the 2.2 liter requires new valve springs. This is likely the same for us, since the EG33 is essentially the same but with 2 more cylinders.

This thread on NASIOC talks a lot about how the valve lash needed to be adjusted multiple times (2.2 liter again, I believe). Once I do this, am I going to have to adjust the valves over and over? Can the valves even be adjusted on the EG33?

If having custom cams is going to turn my SVX into a very high-maintenance machine that I must baby all the time, that will be my breaking point. I want to get better cams so that I can play with my car, not work on it all the damn time.

Thanks again, Harv.
If there is enough reserve in the lifters to take up the clearance that grinding the base circle produces, than I would go that way. If itI has to be added to the nose of the cam then the clearance between the nose and the lifter well has to be looked at. Thats why I suggested taking a head to the grinder to check it out.

I don't think the valve springs would coil bind, at the lift that we are looking at. They are using big lifts, 9.27mm is 2.27mm more that it has now. We are looking at 1mm.

The EG33 has hydraulic lifters, so you don't need to adjust them,

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.