View Single Post
Old 03-28-2005, 11:33 PM
deruvian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oab_au
John the exhaust is 8mm now. They kept the inlet at 7mm to make the engine completely non interference, As the inlet valves are bigger than the exhaust. If the belt broke, the edge of the inlet valve could hit the piston.
1 mm more on the inlet will bring the both to 8mm.

Of course the other reasion is, its cheaper to do one than two.

Harvey.
Precisely. I really want to even out the lift on both of them.

And since the exhaust valves are open when the piston is rising, I do not wish to risk the life of the poor little guys. The intake valves are open when the piston is dropping, giving that diaphragm effect.

The one thing that I did want to ask, especially towards the technically minded (like Harvey ), is if there are any other risks. For example, will the other internals have the appropriate threshold to allow another 1mm without breaking, binding, or stacking?

Do I need to worry about replacing other parts with the camshafts?

You know, the typical run-of-the-mill worries that come with any new performance parts.

Oh, yes, I also wanted to see if anyone knew the stock duration on the cams. Is it possible to measure it using the cam lobes? Per this thread, it appears as though the intake duration is 236 degrees, and the exhaust is 244 degrees. Just curious, really... because the service manual gives a value for the valve lift that doesn't appear to be true (per this thread), so who knows if the duration values are to be trusted either.