View Single Post
Old 07-06-2010, 06:02 PM

Re: Is my mechanic telling me the truth?

All work was done by Subaru by a master mechanic, I've used them for 15 years. For the $2000.00, they did a lot of work, timing belt, water pump, thermostat, new plugs ect. The 02 and knock senors(both OEM) were done a couple of months ago and the 02 kept popping up, that's when I got fed up and dropped it off with instructions to fix everything they could find that was wrong with it or needed replacing. When the 02 code came up again after the work was done, that's when the mechanic told me he believed the problem was the MAF and it was around $500.00. I have no symptoms of a bad MAF, when stopped you can't tell the car is even running without looking at the tach, no hesitation or stalling ever. No change in gas mileage, actually after the tuneup it's better than ever.

As I'm writing I just realized I can check it out myself, I'll just swap the MAF from the SVX I gave to my son with mine. I'll clear the CE and see if it comes back, if it does, I can rule out the MAF as the cause....should have thought of this much sooner...must be getting old.
Stainless steel brake lines
K&N filter, custom front grill
H.I.D low beams 5000k 35w, H.I.D fog/driving 4500k 35w
Clear front and corner lens

Last edited by laserx; 07-06-2010 at 06:05 PM.