View Single Post
Old 01-25-2011, 06:26 PM
The Molinator

Power Steering - Hard-To-Turn!

I started experiencing difficulty turning the steering wheel either way.. especially when idling (like PARKING!) about one year ago. I was getting belt squeeling too.. SO, I just tightened the belt several times. I replaced the pump with a reman about 6 mos ago cuz it continued, but hardly any change. I thot it must need a rack/pinion replacement, but the cost (SubaruParts.com $680, Pep Boys reman $330) dint thrill me. The local good mechanic (Radio Shop Talk Show - Fresno KMJ 580 AM Saturday morns) wanted $350 labor.

It was working tolerably until the cold weather hit about 2 months ago. Then, the squeeling, which had subsided, began to come back.. AND "the steering wheel locking up" got MUCH worse! When parking, it has been difficult to get out especially.. after the steering gear gets cold and the whole mechanism works much more sluggishly at first.

The steering works fine while driving above 10-20 mph (engine RPM range). But, stop for a turn, or try to turn sharply while stopped or moving slowly.. and it gets ScArY!

QUESTIONS:

1) I doubt that I got a bad reman pump, right?
2) Shud I buy the rack/pinion reman, put in myself for $330. It'll need alignment too. Do I need mounts
(Adaptors - $13 x2) since the stuff is so old?
3) Shud I pop for about $700 to have the hot-shot mechanic install reman?
4) Can I count on certain parts wearing out that I cud replace, like "Repair Kit - gear box output shaft" (SubaruParts.com) for $52 (apparently rack seals + ??).. and attempt repair that route.. ?
5) I shud replace the Tie-Rod Ends for $42 each, right?
6) HELP!.. . ???

Thanks for your input, Jim
2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)
Valentine One Radar Detector with Remote Display - ucan'tseeme!

Last edited by James Scott; 01-25-2011 at 06:32 PM.