View Single Post
Old 04-21-2006, 08:45 PM
irox

Not so easy...

Well, turns out parting with my SVX isn't as easy as I figured. This is the car I've owned the longest, ever. I've done all the work on this car (since I got it at 75K), other than oil changes and replacing the passengers side door glass (although I wish I had of done that, they used the wrong color glass and the electic window stopped working a few months after the glass was replaced).

So, to get this fun/driverable again here are the estimates I've come up with, please let me know how relistic this sounds:
Transmission: $2000 +/- $300
Tires: $950 +/- $100
Tune up/belts/pullies: $800 +/- $200
Rear Wheel bearings: $500 +/- $100

Well, that's around $4K already. If I could find a Pearl or Silver (maybe black, but probably not, no other colors are of interest to me) LSi within a few 100 miles for under that, I'd go for it... But so far I've not been able to find one that has low milage and is in better shape. Even if I did, there is always the risk of unknown/undisclosed problems or quirks.

I can probably save on the tune up/belts if I do the work myself, I've done them before... The electric windows could be fixed by with junk yard parts.

How much would it cost to have it repainted stock pearl? Or have it paint Silver? But I guess this isn't as important as tranny/engine/tires/wheel-bearings....

And suspension work? Maybe it's ok and it's just the old tires, but if it's also worn, how much will I expect to pay to refresh it?

I guess there is the temptation to upgrade things, maybe time for 17' rims if I'm replacing the tires...

Oh well,
Ian.