View Single Post
Old 06-16-2005, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael
Any news lee? I think I need a new valve, I was going to do process of elimination...egr solenoid then valve but I hear they are very difficult to change due to the bolts rusting. Can I start by cleaning anything? I only get a code once and a while.
Problem solved - turned out to be three things - a couple small intake air leaks in the plastic housing between the MAF and the throttle body, bad Bosch spark plugs (+4 type), and finally a bad ignition coil.

Alldata has a bad description of the EGR system. I found out somewhat the hard way, or at least the semi-expensive way. "semi" because I went and bought a bunch of parts from a wrecking yard....now I have a spare ECU, TCU, TPS, EGR BPT, 5 good ignition coils, and an igniter - oh well, at least this yard was "semi" cheap - all that set me back only $150.

To test the solenoid and vacuum system all you need is a partner, have them rev the car up/down (idle to say 4K rpm) while you put you fingers in an opening on the rear side of the EGR valve - if you feel something inside moving up & down in response to throttle changes, then the solenoid and vac system is OK. My EGR valve isn't rusty at all, but then I don't live in the rust belt either, so....

Last edited by lee; 06-16-2005 at 07:13 PM.