View Single Post
Old 04-23-2005, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wynndi
Sooooooo, I get the car to the Inspection Station Friday afternoon.

I tell the people that I changed out the gas cap and we're ready to go. They look at the "failed" ticket from 3 days ago and ask me how many miles I've driven since then. I tell them 100 and ask why.

The main guy says "that may not be enough to reset your OBD". I tell him "This car is EPA exempt from readiness tests, please check your computer" He kinda starts arguing and says he's gotta hook up OBD II and recheck it. I hand him the EPA document with all the important stuff highlighted. He says "that's for the dealer prep". "It isn't it's the EPA's document for state/federal testing of OBD II."

I ask for his supervisor. She's a little more reasonable, looks at my document, goes to the computer at the terminal. "Yep, this car is exempt".
I say "thanks". She says, "we'll have to dyno it instead". Me: "Ma'am, it's an all-wheel drive, your front wheel dyno will make bad things happen"

She sez "Let me check the computer...is it a manual or automatic?.......OH! sorry, sir, Subarus are exempt from that.

They check the new gas cap, slap on a 2 year inspection sticker and tell me to have a good night.

I think 'a good night is when you educate people who should know better and then keep them from killing your drivetrain' and say to them "I just did"

SVXers, beware, many states are adopting the OBD II test. Go armed with the EPA document!!!

Glad you set them straight! I have never had a problem here in California with smoging my SVX. Sounds like they employ idiots with a license to smog. I would look into filing a complaint with your state bureau of automotive repair. The smog check inspection station information including technician name/number should be printed on your paperwork. Good luck in the future with the "SMOG NAZIS"