View Single Post
Old 03-12-2002, 09:38 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Ground Down

Lwin, maybe I didn't explain myself thoroughly.I don't disagree with you - we definitely need to be shown a bigger picture. But the 'American Media' isn't covering anything up due to some agenda. They're showing us what we want to see.

"The only thing I have seen american media did that was big in some sense recently was to tell the whole country about the enron case, or who the president was sleeping with. Who cares? "

WE DO. I'm not saying you and me specifically, but people eat that stuff up, and that's why it gets covered. They show us what we want to see. If nobody cared, like you suggest, those stories would go away. Let's have an example.

Ever since the Taliban started rolling over Afghanistan, I read every news story to come out of there. I was interested. But was it covered thoroughly? No. For years, most of this country (except for us news junkies) knew nothing of the situation. I doubt, pre-September 11, more than 10% of this country's population could even tell you who the Taliban were.

Then we get attacked, and the major suspects are harbored by the Taliban. Suddenly, every network is doing story after story about Afghanistan, the Taliban, al Qaeda, etc. Why? Because something noteworthy happened and we wanted to know more about it.

Back to this issue:

"It is also my personal believe that the reason why a ton of people in the US are in shock of the 9-11 situation is because of the fact that they are mainly tuned into the local media and not the international media. People get a false security that bad things are far away and let their guard down. "

You're absolutely right. But that false sense of security and apathy about the rest of the world come from the people - not 'the media.' If there was a story happening somewhere else in the world that people wanted to know about, the networks which tried to 'suppress' it would get killed in the ratings by the ones that covered it. There is simply too much competition amongst networks for them to form some sort of conspiracy to suppress stories.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE