View Single Post
Old 03-29-2009, 06:25 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Christmas Dash Lights, but no Electrical Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwren View Post
The stock alternator is not more than ample for what the car has on it. Why do you think we have so much trouble with our alternators??

No one is talking about losing amps with a "poorly maintained electrical system" ... whatever that means, or higher voltage output. Higher rated alternators allows the same voltage output but uses higher rated components in the alternators system.

The wires and accessorys relate to voltage, not the current carrying capacity of the components within the alternator. The voltage output remains the same.

We all know, at least I think we all know, that heat is a killer... especially in electrical components. The higher rated electrical components in the heavy duty alternator withstand more heat without damage.

There you go... some Whys!

Keith
If the alternator involved is the factory machine modified for increased output, the end result will be an increase in internal heat.

Components are unlikely to be more highly rated and in this respect voltage is the main issue, aside from heat the real enemy as stated. It is the windings which will have been altered. Correctly, more turns of a heavier wire are required, not more of the same gauge. In order to do this without reducing insulation space, more space is required, which should require a larger carcass.

When on open circuit the modified machine could produce an increased voltage. This will be offset in service by the voltage regulator but the potential exists.

I am not saying that a carefully modified alternator should not be used, but only that there should be no intrinsic increase in reliability expected over the original, other than a factor of possibly better quality assembly. This of course could also apply and more so without any increase in heat, in respect of a machine rebuilt for standard output.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!