Thread: Favorite Engine
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2004, 09:56 PM
Rep from the outside world

Send a message via AIM to Shadow248
Well it's really hard for me to pick one, or even three...but here are the engines that impress me and the reasons...

GM LS1 (346ci OHV 90 degree V8 with SFI) - Simple, classic, SFI system makes an already good design nearly bulletproof, capable of 800hp+ on stock bottom end, all with very affordable upkeep.

GM LT1 (346ci OHV 90 degree V8 with TPI) - Capable of even more power than the LS1, second only because it's much more expensive to maintain.

Subaru EG33 (ahh you know the details) - can't say much about it that hasn't already been said. I like this one because it's
radically different than what i'm used to. As far as I know, this is the only engine in the world that has more than 2 cams and can still be called reliable.

GM L78/L67 (232ci OHV 60 degree V6 with SFI) - probably the most used engine of all time...standard or optional engine in over 60% of GM cars (for a long time), again classic, simple, reliable design. The moral of the story here is, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

The hate list:

GM X34 (208ci DOHC 60 degree V6 with MPFI) - I could go on for days about how much this engine sucks. Extremely complicated, poor design, VERY EXPENSIVE to maintain, noisy, bulky. Thank Honda for that one. This engine is solely responsible for GM's attachment to OHV motors. Of course then maybe it's a blessing.

Ford 4.6L (283ci OHC 90 degree V8 with MPFI) - WHY?!?! The 4.6 replaced one of the greatest engines of all time. Ford did what GM is doing now, in bringing back classic motors with new technology, only Ford somehow messed it up. It's a shame, who knows where they could be with the good 'ole 307 by now. That 5.0 was cheaper, more reliable and much more responsive to mods.

That's all I can think of at this time...i'll be back with more i'm sure.