View Single Post
Old 07-05-2011, 08:34 AM
Either committed, or should be

Send a message via ICQ to thumper_svx Send a message via Yahoo to thumper_svx
Registered SVX
Re: should i buy the SVX?

Honestly, I'd probably listen to LetItSnow!

Although I love SVXi (on my fourth) I probably would still own a REALLY cheap car in my teens and work my way up. The SVX is expensive on gas relative to a lot of other good imports like a Honda Civic, so quite apart from maintenance just the cost of keeping it going is going to get significant. Figure a Honda Civic with a stick might net you 30-35mpg with cheap gas... the SVX is going to be more like 20, on premium. Take that into account when figuring the cost of ownership.

I was lucky in a sense; I purchased a pretty damned nice SVX all things considered with an almost flawless interior (one, half-inch tear in the drivers seat, that's all... and I repaired it) and a good exterior (fading red paint and lots of tiny rock chips)... but even I'm dealing with repair issues. The front wheel bearings are pretty much gone... as are the brakes. Just waiting for the last few parts to hit (seals, rotors, pads, shims) and then I'll spend a weekend in my garage swearing at it before I'm really happy with the car... but I also paid a lot more than you're looking to pay.

As much as I'd love to recommend the SVX to you (I do to anyone who will listen as it's a damned fine car), I'm not sure that it's the right car for you at the moment. Besides, for ~$2000 you can pick up a decent Civic that has plenty of life left.

I also agree; get a stick if you can. They get better fuel mileage and will outlast an auto every time. I also think it's valuable for any young person to drive a stick as it makes one appreciate how a car puts the power to the road.

HTH

My Rides:
Red 1996 SVX LSi (Saffron)
2007 Yamaha FJR1300 (Kaitlin)

Previously owned; green '95 L AWD (sold), black/pearlie '94 LSi (too many problems), Polo Green '96 SVX LSi (apparently notThe end of an era)

Member #2 in the Yahoo! club, been here since the beta-testing days. In dire need of a cheaper hobby.