View Single Post
Old 07-04-2011, 11:50 PM

Registered SVX
Re: should i buy the SVX?

As with most cars, when you buy used you truly cannot be sure of what you are getting into. Many of these cars get parted out or sent to the junker because people give up when they see the repair estimates. If you plan on buying one, be sure it is the car you want. To properly maintain it is not cheap, and can sometimes be downright expensive. If you learn to work on it yourself there is less money involved, but you must be very deliberate, as to avoid making a costly mistake.

The issues listed above are not huge deterrants. Sway bar bushings are cheap and easy to replace. Not sure about the shift lock button needing to be pressed in, but it is most likely not a HUGE deal. Expect the seats to be worn out (drivers side especially). Make sure the tranny does not clunk when going into gear (including reverse). Listen to the idle, it should be smooth and regular, no hiccups, and the less ticking the better. Valve tick is very common on our motors, but an untrained ear can mistake that for the beginning stages of bottom end failure.

Good luck with buying your first car. I had an '86 accord I beat the hell out of for my first car. Most people tend to do that with their first car, no matter what it is. Keep that in mind when looking for the car that is right for you.

'92 Ls-L Dark Teal
11:1 CR ECUTUNE pistons
ECUTUNE .256 duration intake/exhaust cams
ECUTUNE STAGE 2AV1 ECU
Z32 MAF/SR20DET injectors
Balanced & Blueprinted