View Single Post
Old 03-04-2013, 10:24 AM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX
Re: Trunk release failure?

I hope so too! I figured out after it happened a couple more times over the years that it's because the trim piece at the bottom of the trunk by the bumper, the one with the hole in it that the trunk latch goes into, is a bit loose on my car, missing a couple of plastic tabs, and if it gets knocked slightly to one side, when the trunk lid closes it will flick the cancel switch on it's way down and then this happens! Probably not the best design.

Anyway, here's a picture of what the cancel switch looks like from the outside of the car, where you would normally activate it standing in front of the trunk.

And here's what it looks like from inside the trunk, in the unlocked position. So when you crawl into the trunk from inside the car with the seats down, you would reach your fingers to the left side of the latch area and feel around for that switch to be in the "UP" position (straight out to the left). You would then just flick it down to the position in this picture. There should be a slight click. If you have my problem, you may have to force it as that plastic trim piece will be blocking you from doing so without some effort. But once you have it down, you should be able to go back out and use the release lever as normal and it will open.

Of course if you have the actual normal master key for your car, the trunk should open with your key regardless of whether the cancel switch is on or not. Then you could just open the trunk with the key and flick the switch from the outside as intended.

1992 SVX LSL "Serenity" 250,000 miles!

I don't care, I'm still free, You can't take the sky from me...

Last edited by WestCoastSVX; 03-04-2013 at 10:27 AM.