Thread: Raceconcepts
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2006, 08:40 AM
Loyal Subie-ist

Send a message via MSN to SubyLuver
Quote:
Originally Posted by svxcess
Raceconcepts did an outstanding job of zinc coating the rotors. Very thick, even plating that should not rust or corrode. Personally, I am not a fan of such a shiny finish, plus much of this is hidden if you use the stock wheels. For those using a larger wheel, highly-polished with a more open spoke design, these would look great. But I've seen this look on many riced-out tuner cars and don't want to contribute to the "Uncle Benn-ification" of my Pristine 96.

Anyway, I bought a can of the Duplicolor Ceramic Engine Paint, Cast Coat Aluminum DE 1650. Designed for intake manifolds and engine blocks. After masking off the swept areas of the rotors, and the flat surface of the "hat" that contacts the rim directly, I sprayed 3 light coats on each, with 10 minutes between each coat. I then applied a heavier wet coat, letting that dry for an hour.

I put the rotors (two at a time) into a 300 degree oven for 30 minutes to cure. I then turned the oven off and let everything cool down completely before taking them out. I repeated this procedure again for the remaining two rotors.

The finish is very hard and even. It is a soft lustre, semi-gloss finish that is quite pleasing. The color is not too gray, but a warmer shade of gray, bordering on a light taupe, without metallic particles, more like a soft pearl.

I will be painting the calipers with Plastikote Cast Rebuilder's Fnish, Gray 285. Again a darker, slightly metallic gray with just a hint of lustre. Looks like castings found on new alternators/master cylinders. This should be easy to do, as I will spray the calipers with the old rotors and pads in place. Once dry, I will remove the old parts and install new--instant masking!

Both of these paints are rated at over 500 degrees and that should be more than adequate for these parts.

If I had a working digital camera I would take pictures, but my new Sony Cybershot T9 6MP camera hasn't come in yet.

I can take pictures of the shipped zinc plated will post in my locker on wednesday for you guys. I am interested in painting them as you mentioned though... Anything I should know/not do? Maybe a how-to? Like the idea of painting calipers with rotors and brakes on, I will do that since I am replacing everything anyways...
(To-do list Koni Struts & Springs lacking funds)