View Single Post
Old 10-19-2014, 01:15 AM

Re: '94 FWD transmission non conversion swap questions

Here's another update....

First off many thanks to all the experts that replied and shared their experience and opinions. It's been very helpful and enlightening!

In the last update, I shared that I had acquired a transmission from a '93 turbo legacy wagon that had a 3.9 final differential gear ratio. Since then, I came across a local SVX owner who was selling an AWD SVX transmission that had a bad transfer case solenoid at a reduced price of $180. Since my SVX is a FWD -- not AWD, I can simply remove the transfer case (and it's solenoid), and replace it with the bad transmission's rear case plate. By doing this, I'll have a FWD SVX with a 3.5 final differential gear ratio. This should hopefully improve highway mileage by keeping the RPMs lower at highway speed.

Thanks to Tom for suggesting putting the aftermarket tranny cooler in SERIES and BEFORE the stock radiator instead of my original plan to put it in parallel. This solves the potential for the transmission fluid never getting warm enough in the winter time -- because the stock radiator will heat the fluid back up to operating temperatures before it returns to the tranny.

I hope to have this done in the next couple of weeks and get this SVX back on the road again.

I'll either keep and use the '93 AWD turbo Legacy wagon 4EAT tranny elsewhere, or sell it.

Philip

Last edited by phreich; 10-19-2014 at 01:27 AM.