View Single Post
Old 09-07-2014, 09:05 PM

Registered SVX
Re: '94 FWD transmission non conversion swap questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by phreich View Post
Does the 4eat have a TCU controlled TC lockup in addition to the TC controlled stall speed lockup, or is the only TC lockup done within the TC itself and based solely upon the TC stall speed?

I thought there was a TCU controlled lockup that would take over once the car got up to 4th gear and cruising speeds.

I found this file with a dyno test of the eg33: http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/SVXtypeR/797.jpg
Given the torque and HP curve listed here, I am wondering what the higher TC stall speed will feel like. It seems it would make it seem more like a sprinter when the accel pedal was punched.

I've never dealt with upping the TC stall speed before, so I am really hoping for some more feedback. Tapani is concerned about this -- but he also went with a 4.44 ratio AWD tranny coming from a 3.5 ratio tranny. I am going from a 3.7 FWD tranny to a 3.9 FWD tranny -- no where near the difference in differential ratio.

I am planning on installing the tranny mid next week, so I hope to get some opinions from y'all on the driveability issues with the 3.9 differential ratio and the higher stall speed TC.

BTW, if there is a TCU controlled TC lockup, what is that based on -- being in 4th gear, or rpm, or what?

Looking forward to your thoughts and experiences with this.

Thanks,

Philip
The TC has a hydromechanical clutch in it for the lock up function. The operation is controlled by the TCU. Based on gear (only fourth), fluid temp, vehicle speed and throttle position. This is a separate function from the torque converter itself. See the manual for explanation.

I have a 3.70 JDM transmission. I used to have a 4.444 4ACT from a 2.2 n/a 1996 Outback.

The (stock) SVX is an old skool relaxed gentlemans grand tourer. Keep it that way . And do not forget the heat generation issue.

/T