View Single Post
Old 02-04-2011, 05:14 PM

Re: Lambo door kits?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarnblatt View Post
True, but he also designed the VW Golf (which is one of my favorite cars, BTW)

So just because he designed it does not mean that it will work with these door deals. In fact I'm not aware of any production car that Guigiaro designed with funky doors short of the DeLorean. I'm just saying that these Lambo things really don't work. The split windows on our cars for some project it to be something else... but looking at the stance of the overall car, it is far from the uber low slung exotic lamborghini. It's low, and sleek, but BMW 6/8 series GT car low and sleek. Just my opinion I guess.
I don't particularly feel a huge need to go to the work for these sorts of doors on an SVX, but I do like alternative door openings.

If any affordable car is unique enough to pull of unique door openings, it would be the SVX... It is unique looking as it is, and quite modern. Alternative things like jack-knife doors don't look too out-of-place.

It has flush-fit window frames on the side of the roof structure, not under the roof structure, and a nice shape, that might make it work pretty well. The SVX door shape might actually even work if the door latches were converted to face downward, rather than inward. (aftermarket jack-knife doors still have to swing laterally to open and close, because the latches still operate from the side.

I do prefer the butterfly doors like the McLaren F1, SLR, MP4-12C, but those would be harder to aftermarket retrofit, as they cut into the roof, at least in the F1's case. The SLR and 12C don't cut into the roof, but I imagine that the hinges are quite specific, and very robust to hold that weight.

The down-side is that you always must have overhead clearance, and a good long reach... or a very strong linear actuator to raise and lower the door. But overhead space might be easier to come by than lateral space in a parking lot... I have had to squeeze pretty tight through the SVX's door opening before, which is an occaisional issue with long doors.

The SVX looks good lowered. Even better slightly lowered with the cloud-replica side skirts and front air dam extensions, and a well chosen set of 17 or 18" wheels. Might as well really tastefully mod the appearance, if the doors are going to open differently.

but I would agree with johnnybeas, that is way down the list of mods after upgrading the drivetrain and other, possibly easier stuff.

------------

1992 Claret SVX. Rescued from certain destruction, and still on the road, where it belongs. Waiting for a bit of a makeover, when I can afford it.
2005 Garnet Red Pearl Legacy GT Limited 5-speed. - The late great Subaru sport touring sedan.
1999 Classic Red Miata, Preferred equipment package 5-speed. Fun, fun, fun, in the Sun, sun, sun.