View Single Post
Old 04-16-2005, 06:59 AM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beav
Timing belts (and chains/gears too) usually break during starting. The sudden shock of the starter against the 'at rest' valve train is a tremendous load. The next normal failure occurs when someone is goosing the throttle in neutral, again the shock/strain is greatest then. This is why I think the other checks are a better place to begin.
I haven't broken one on the SVX yet, but I have broken 4 of them on the little red wagon - 3 of them were during highway driving, and 1 accelerating from a stop. I know the engines are very different (very very different), but each time the dash lit up like a xmas tree and the car would not start, just turn over. One time I was doing 70 in the far left lane when it broke - it was fun coasting through the lanes with no power steering to get to the shoulder.

Yes, we used to run the bejeezuz out of timing belts. We've had them last between 40k-80k. One time the car was ticking/knocking and I thought I had finally killed the engine. I was so sad. A new timing belt fixed it.

/threadjack (sorry)
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.