View Single Post
Old 02-02-2009, 04:38 PM
$1 is just $1, but $2 = nachos

Re: Accurate reading gauges

What are you looking for, a complete replacement of the stock instrument cluster, or just some ancillary gauges?

I've got Defi BF-R series gauges in the race car. They're very nice looking, have basic logging functionality, work great (accurate), but will run you over a grand for a set depending on what you're trying to replace.

For example: I've got a boost gauge, oil temp, oil pressure, water temp, and EGT gauge. I think the setup was around $900. That's still no tach, and no speedo. And I don't think they even make a fuel gauge in that line, if you're trying to replace everything.

Here's the best picture I can find off hand of the Defi setup (see the 4 gauges across the top):

Here's a video from a while back showing the Boost gauge: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2Ndk92iZW8

Autometer makes several lineups that have tons of gauge options. I had some autometer SportComp gauges before the Defis, but I wasn't happy with the quality of their products so I upgraded. I have heard they've got a new line of stepper motor gauges though that are on par w/ the Japanese offerings now though.