View Single Post
Old 05-18-2014, 03:19 PM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Re: Quarter panel rust repairs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot View Post
Paint the bare steel with POR-15 inside and out and then apply bedliner in the wheel well. Should give you a coating that is impervious to anything short of boulders and will prevent moisture penetration. That's my plan anyway, I'll start experimenting with POR-15 this weekend.
POR-15 is da shyt! This is a must for our quarter panels.

Long time since I had followed this thread.
Tapani, for someone who did his car himself, you rock man!! I wouldn't tackle this job myself, too scary and "undertooled" for me.

Sean, love the job they did on your car, it looks brand new! It shouldn't be a winter car anymore

There is something I don't quite understand with the bodywork jobs they do in the US. Whenever they weld a piece of panel instead of the cancerous one, they keep the welds as they are while applying bondo to cover them. I have seen it many many times on TV, on the internet and with the Old Mercedes I bought from the US. I can even show you pictures of what I am talking about, really a shame.

Over here bodyworkers do weld the piece all along the line and not just spot welding it. They gently grind the excess welds until the surface is as flat as possible. Then heat and beat the panel until its lines are perfect as they should be. Sanding it again with specialized device is in order to remove further imperfections. A very very thin layer of bondo is to be applied before primer and paint. Result? 99% close to brand new.

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.