View Single Post
Old 01-20-2007, 06:15 PM
Radio wiring harness guru
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by It's Just Eric
*Usefull tidbit* If you car doesnt have the [shift lock] button itself, you need to pop off the decorative cover, unscrew the scrw with the arrow pointing to it (It's long and must be removed all the way) Slide the arrow lookin deal over, and use a screw driver to push into the hole.
Only the earlier-year SVXs had the shift lock button. Later ones require opening the access cover.

Beware: You only need to push the screwdriver into the hole about 1/2" to move the mechanical lever. You should feel a slight springy resistance. If your screwdriver goes any deeper without touching the lever, you need to try again (try a slightly different angle).

If you shove a screwdriver too deep you can tear up the windings on the solenoid that unlocks the shift lever. (Don't ask me how I know this )

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlcyoneDaze
... the shifter will sometimes 'stick' in park on startup - (does anyone have a fix for this btw?)
Were you aware you have to press the brake pedal? When you do, do you hear the aforementioned solenoid in the center console "click"? (it only actuates while the shifter is in Park and you press the large thumb-button on the shift lever)

As you can see, the problem could be in any of:
  • Brake pedal switch (if this is bad your brake lights won't work)
  • Wiring/connectors
  • Solenoid
  • Electrical switch activated by button on the shift lever

FYI, there's another solenoid in the steering column that prevents you from removing the key until the shifter is in Park.

Last edited by SVXdc; 01-20-2007 at 06:19 PM.