View Single Post
Old 09-20-2006, 05:19 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by greggbzz
Oh I just hate posting this.
About 1 week ago, it was a little cooler in the morning, and I went to drive to the bank and the SVX would not shift out of 1st. This was a little odd I thought,
I did not drive it hard or get to upset. I just kind of parked it, sat for a minute and restarted it. Viola, it shifted 2nd, 3rd, like normal.

So this weekend, I'm driving up to an on-ramp, accelerating somewhat hard, and 2nd feels.. well like it's slipping a little. I don't drive it until yesterday, after I adjust my TPS, check my AFT and Diff fluid, which all look good, and give it a good diagnostic drive. It seems that 1st is rock solid, 3rd is the same, and drive is good, although it's hard to get a good grasp on D because it's so low. But will all that tourqe differental I imagine if D was in bad shape it would slip pretty easily.

1st to 2nd is normal, and then if I drive it soft it will shift very quickly out of 2nd with out much effort or RPMs. But the shift feels lazy to 3rd.

If I leave it in 2nd and drive it hard, it will wind up higher then normal and kind of grip slowly. Like I'm riding the clutch out in a stick.

I gave it another short drive later in the day and the same behavior.

So, is my clutch going? I can only hope a break band adjustment will fix it, but it's pouring and I won't have time to try that until the weekend.

I just bought a new house and it would be a while before I can save enough to fix it, but fix it I will.
Yes do as Matt says. Till you do get it adjusted, don't use 2nd or 4th. to save the band. Select 1st to start, then move the lever to 3rd gear, miss 2nd gear and 4th gear completely. Just drive in 3rd, when you stop at a light, select 1st to go again, don't let it use 2nd or 4th.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.