View Single Post
Old 07-05-2006, 03:13 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarrb
Not to discount your experience, but the front wheels do the steering, plus the majority of the pulling and stopping, so that's where I'd want my best tires under any circumstances. Nobody told me this; it just seems sensible. Now then, if my reasoning's flawed or i'm overlooking the obvious, it wouldn't be the first time...

The possibility of damaging the rear diff is the only reason I can fathom that anybody'd want to run a donut spare on the front and again, nothing I've read in the owner's manual suggests that such damage could occur. Surely the outer diameter of the spare was deliberately selected to closely match that of the other tires.

dcb
Sorry again you're wrong, granted logical in your reasoning but still in error. A car is steered by the whole chasis not just the fronts. Check out even Tireracks recommendations. Basically in an emergency situation if your front tires loose grip later than the rears you'll go into a spin
however, if the opposite is true the car will be more than managable in will simply oversteer hence it is ALWAYS recommended to put the better tires on the rear than the fronts.

Granted in everyday driving situations the car will feel more stable with balds on the rear and new tires up front but it isn't for normal driving rather emergency driving. There are still plenty who say put it on the drive axle but most of those either used your logic or are of the RWD era and just assumed that was the reasoning. I too had my eyes opened to this as I once thought the same as you.

As for the doughnut though, that should always go on the rear. Remember it is temporary and for speeds up to what 50mph or so.