View Single Post
Old 08-25-2001, 08:35 PM
The Road Less Traveled

Re: Re: Re: ABS Sensors & AWD

I'll try to borrow a digital camera and take a picture of that page.

I don't own a copy of the manual. The local library does, and I'll get a copy for you.

I'm not disputing what you are saying, in fact, I agree with you that the ABS should have nothing to do with the AWD. That's what the VSS is there for. I mean, some SVXes, and certainly a large number of Legacy's didn't have ABS and had AWD. However, I'm just regurgitating what the manual said.

I *believe* they were implying that the ABS sensors were used to sense different wheel speeds, and therefore traction, and in a turn where the wheel speeds are different, it can sense it, and put the car in 90/10 split to reduce the possibility of binding.

I know that in some cars the ABS sensors are used to detect wheel spin and engage the traction control system. My since totalled 95 Legacy L+ FWD comes to mind.

If someone has the manuals and a scanner (AreDub, where are YOU??), the page I'm referring to is in the tranmission section. I found it while looking up the Duty Solenoid C troubleshoot procedure, so it should be near there.

Back to the problem at hand, since you mentioned the VSS, could a busted VSS not trigger a code, still have the speedo working, and cause svx_commuter's car to not have AWD?

VK
Definitely no AWD expert.

Quote:
Originally posted by eddycat2000

Please scan and upload that section. The only computers that I know of that network in the car are the TCU and the ECU. I'd very much like to see what the F they are talking about. Think about it, why would the abs system care if you were 50% AWD or 10% AWD? *Nothing* that occurs in the AWD system would remotely affect the ABS system, all it needs to see is wheel 'inactive'...when braking. In other words, if it sees 3 wheels spinning, and one not, and the speed is above the specified limits, it activates the ABS...regardless of whether you are AWD or 90% FWD. (That's a condensed version, don't ask for a detailed description please, not in the mood).