View Single Post
Old 07-02-2012, 12:06 AM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Crazy_Pilot's 6MT Swap (Lots-O-Pics!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot View Post
Sunday (Canada Day for we Northerners!) Update:

Flex plate out, flywheel in, auto pedals out, TCU out, other misc stuff. The main thing today was pretty-ing up the transmission:

[pic]

Don't mind the broken engine in the background. The colour is Rustoleum Hammered Black, it's basically a very dark grey with a beaten/cast texture. Looks really nice. I spent most of yesterday afternoon cleaning the transmission with a combination of wire brushes, degreasers, and other means. (Turns out electric toothbrushes make excellent cleaning tools )

Tomorrow I'll hopefully get the pedals mounted (I'm honestly finding this to be the hardest part of the job), the clutch disc/pressure plate installed, and maybe swap the R180 into the back end.
Having removed or put back the pedals at least 5 times, I can assure you that that is the hardest part. Without ever taking out any of the interior to do so. I am a skinny basterd so I can get away with stuff like that.

Try to make the hole for the clutch master cyl as small as you can. You'll appreciate it years later, I promise. Also, if you don't and you don't cover it up somehow either, your feet and the pedals will get hot on long drives.

MAKE SURE THAT NO PART OF THE CLUTCH PEDAL CUTS INTO THE WHITE PLASTIC THINGY that covers all the wires above the pedals.

That trans looks very nice. I wish I had had the forethought to paint mine. I have used that paint and it does look really good.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album