View Single Post
Old 01-07-2011, 10:19 AM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX
Re: Transmission fluid drain, refill and "how the hell do I read the dipstick!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxfiles View Post
I always look at the back side of the ATF dipstick.
The side that faces the firewall.
And usually it takes three times to get an accurate reading.
I was in for an oil change and the mechanic double checked the level. It looked a little high to him so he took about a pint out. After driving home I checked it again and it looks to be just above the warm "L" mark. So he sort of confirmed what I was suspecting which was that I was close to the warm "F" mark and maybe just a wee bit over. A website I found said that the dipstick markings are typically separated by about a pint.

Also, based on Tom's comment above I tried something different today. I put the stick in the normal way, pulled it out just enough to be able to rotate it 180 degrees, put it back in and then pulled it out an read it. The fluid level was much easier to read this way.

On a related note, the K&N 4001 oil filter does indeed fit the SVX. I would guess that this is the best available oil filter for our car. It is more efficient, has better flow and has better capacity than the OEM filter. It is basically identical in design to the Mobil 1 filters. This size filter was OEM on the 1994 Porsche 911 Turbo which was a 3.6L H6. Supposedly, the improved flow also helps keep the engine cooler. I assume that claim is based on the assumption that better oil flow will spread heat out more evenly and, thus, improve heat transfer.

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything